Thursday, March 20, 2008

Egg Retreival Day (3/19)

My Retreival was today. Got up at 6am and showered. It only took me 20 minutes to get ready because I could not where any make up, lotion, or jewelry. So getting ready was quick. We had to go to the pharmacy before my appt. to pick up some medicine I need for Monday. It was only a mile away from the clinic. We got there at 8:30am. They were supposed to be open at 8:30, but they didn' topen until 8:40 which ticked me off. Actually, everything in the morning ticked me off because I was not allowed to have anything to drink, so NO COFFEE. I was so cranky to Russ! Poor guy. Anyway, we got the meds and then headed to the clinic.

I filled out some paperwork and they called us right in. The nurses were really nice. I think one of them was pretty new though. She's the one that did my IV and she was really bad. It hurt so bad that I almost cried. She did it really slow, I think that was the problem. Then she didnt get the tube hooked up quick enough, so my blood was EVERYWHERE!!! All over my hand, my gown, the sheets on the bed, the floor. Ugh..........it was pretty bad. The other nurse however was really good. They took my blood preassure. It was 110/68. That is actually pretty high for me, so I knew I was nervous. Russ hung out for a bit with me then they came and got him for his "Sample". The anesthesiologist (sp?) came and talked to me. He was extremely nice. I heard him talking to the dr outside my curtain and he's been with them doing these for 14 years. Ever since my clinic was there. So that made me feel really good too. After that , the dr came in and chatted with me. He wasn't my dr, but he was the one doing the retreival and he was really nice.

At 10am, the Anetsthesia guy came in and got me. He walked me to the OR. I layed on the table and like 3 nurses were moving my legs and putting blankets on me and all sorts. The Aneth. guy was chatting with me. Asked me where I was from etc. Then I knew that he put the sleepy stuff in my IV because my hand started to ache. He asked if I was getting tired. I wasn't really and that kind of freaked me out. i thought maybe it wasn't working. Anyway, then I remember the Dr coming in. He said this is just the speculum and it was really warm. I've never ever had a heated speculum before. That was cool. That ws the last thing I remember.

Next thing I know I woke up in my little room. The nurse asked if I was in any pain. I wasnt really. I was a little sore, but nothing compared to what I expected. They went and got Russ and he came in. I was supposed to be in recovery for 45 minutes, but I ended up there for 1 1/2 hours because I had 43 eggs and my dr was worried about hyperstimulation. I had to do an extra bottle of meds through the IV and then wait for another big bag of stuff to be empty.

They took my blood preassure about 10 more times. The highest it was after the retreival was 85/52. That's more the normal for me. I was so thirsty. I was drinking water, but it wasn't helping. I had the worst cotton mouth ever. All I wanted was an ICEE. I told Russ when we left we needed to find a burger king so I could get a burger and an ICEE. I took a couple Tylenol at the hospital and was feeling pretty good until I walked to the car and sat. Then it hurt a bit more. Not cramping. Just sore lik I pulled all my muscles down there.

We got to BK and I got my burger and drink. I drank and drank. Then I went to eat my burger. It was yummy until I went to swallow it. My mouth was still so dry that I could not swallow my burger. I had to wash it down with my Icee.

We stopped at the pharmacy and dropped my presecription the dr gave me to reduce my chances of hyperstimulation. I got home and then had to return a bunch of phone calls. I've tried to get some sleep, but I can't. I'm exhausted,but just cant sleep. My throat is terribly dry. I had Russ pick me up some throat losengers. Russ has been takeing very good care of me. He's never been this accomidating before. I think seeing them put that IV in and bleeding all over the place really made him feel bad. I took my anti-biotic and my new drug today when I got home. Tonight I have to take more antibiotic and 2 prednisone plus my vitamins. Friday I start my progesterone in oil shots. OUCH!! Ah, who am I kidding. Compared to that IV today, no shot could ever hurt!! I think I covered it all for today. It was pretty exciting. Now I can relax and wait for my fertilitzation report!

1 comment:

ely said...

Hi There! I just came across you blog, so forgive me for not knowing everything you've been through. I just wanted to let you know that you made the right decision in not using NCCRM! THey misdiagnosed me and my husband. I also did IVF and have 2 beautiful kids-a boy and a girl. Feel free to contact me and good luck!