Saturday, April 21, 2007

I survived the Surgery! (Long)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was told to be at the hospital by 7:45am, I got there at 7:30am. I figured I'd be waiting a while, but I was wrong. They called me in at 7:35am. My sister wasn't even there yet. When I got in there, they did the whole temperature, blood pressure, pulse thing, had me get undressed and put on the pretty hospital gown. Mind you, I'm the size of a 12 year old and this was an adult gown, so obvioulsy it was REALLY big! I was incredibly thirsty since I was not allowed to drink ANYTHING after midnight. Then the nurse gave me a shot that completely game me cotton mouth. I could barely swallow. My doctor came in and talked to me for a bit, told me what the plan was and the the nurse put in my IV. My sister got there about then. I was so tired (I think from not eating for 24 hours) that I was actually falling asleep. Then the anesthesiologist (sp?) got there and explained what he was going to do. He said I'm going to give you something to relax you, then we'll go to the OR and you'll see Dr. Hall and some other doctor, then we'll put some oxygen on you and we'll put you out. After your out, we'll insert a breathing tube, blah, blah, blah. So, he gave me a shot to relax me and started wheeling me to the OR. Well, we went down a hall and came to a stop at these big wooden doors (which I assume was the OR) and that's the last thing I remember! I'm pretty sure I was asleep (from the relaxer injection) before they ever put me out.

When I awoke (groggily), I was in a LOT of pain. Major CRAMPING, I was in the recovery room and this nurse was sitting right next to my bed staring at me. Then she said "Barbara are you in Pain", I shook my head, and she said what kind, I told her cramping and then she said on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the highest, what is your pain, I replied 9. So she gave me a shot with pain medicine and within 2 minutes, I fell right back to sleep!

I still had major cotton mouth when I woke up. They gave me a sprite, but that didn't help. Then they had me eat a cracker so I could take more pain medicine. Well, with my MAJOR cotton mouth, eating a cracker was litterally like eating a cotton ball. I could not even swallow it. I had to wash it down with the sprite.
We finally left around 2:30pm, I went back to my sisters for a bit and then Russ picked me up and I went home. I tried to sleep, but everyone was calling to see how I am. I appreciated it, but at the same time, I just wanted to sleep!

About 7pm that night, I started getting major gas pains. It hurt so bad and it hit about every 10 minutes! All I wanted to do was Pass Gas and I couldn't. I couldnt even burp! I also had problems going pee. It would just dribble out. I just wanted to have a really good pee and it was not happening. I went to bed around 9pm, but hardly slept because of the gas pain. I was up like every 20 minutes. I finally got up at 7am and at 7:45am, it finally happened............I passed gas! It was such a relief! And the passing gas pretty much lasted all day, but I didn't care! It felt great!

I was still in a lot of pain. Took my pain meds every 4 hours. I stayed in bed pretty much all day. Got up a few times to eat and answer the door (flower delivery). Tried to sleep all day, but again everyone was calling me non-stop! So again no rest. Went to bed around 10pm and again did NOT Sleep. No gas this time, but I'm a belly sleeper. I can't sleep unless I'm on my stomache. Well, obvioulsy after this surgery and with 4 incisions, this was not a possibiity. I got about 3 hours TOTAL. I woke up extremely bitchy!!

So, here I am. Saturday morning. Took a shower (finally) cause I itched so bad and I felt like a grease ball. Felt pretty good after the shower, so I started a little laundry and cleaned up the bedroom. Then I realized that this might be a little too much because now I'm in extreme pain. Taking more pain meds and going to try and sleep. Hope tomorrow is better!!
I'm tired of lying in bed. I just want to feel normal again.

Well, that's it. This is a long enough post. Actually took 2 days to write. I'm off gto rest.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

decemberbaby said...

So glad to hear it went well!!!!